Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Jake's 18th Birthday

Jake and I celebrated his 18th birthday at Stanley Park in Vancouver. Stanley Park is recognized as one of the greatest parks in the world. We were able to walk along the sea wall, see the totem poles and visit the Vancouver Aquarium. The park holds concerts, had a petting zoo, restaurants, horse drawn carriage rides, fields for cricket and soccer. Large lush flower gardens landscape the park, and a sea wall that attracts hundreds of people to walk, bike, and skate around the edge of the harbor and park. There were several art exhibits to check out on the day we were there as well.

We spent most of our time at the Aquarium. We looked at beluga whales, dolphins, and sea otters. We watched a shark feeding and checked out all kinds of frogs, toads and lizards. We were able to visit their Amazon room were we saw a sloth in the tree and a few monkeys, lots of birds, and some turtles. It was a fun day checking out the aquarium and then walking through Stanley Park. It took me forever to find the totem poles and I think Jake was ready to leave me with the totem poles when we finally did find them. I made up for it by buying a few more souvenirs. I had a really good time going to Vancouver with Jake. We had lots of fun finding places to eat, riding the sky train and checking out the different districts in the Vancouver area. I think one of my favorites was our day at Stanley Park.

Jake met up with a couple of friends later that night to go to a skateboard movie premiere. I think he had a fun birthday even without birthday cake and only one present to open that I had to wrap in the hotel towel :)

These pictures are from Stanley Park, (after clicking play, I had to click on the bar to get the slide show to start)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

OMG! You only have adults now!!!

Bethany said...

wow, happy birthday jake! i thought you were talking about vancouver bc the whole time and i was confused why there wasn't snow and i was going to ask about the olympics. whoops. sounds like a fun time. off to utah soon!

Dasdel said...

Oh this is all Vancouver BC. And this all happened in September. I have just been on overload and haven't finished blogging about this trip. My goal is to get all of 2009 blogged about before the year ends. Sorry if the dates are confusing. And there was tons of Olympic stuff when we were there back in September.