Friday, February 8, 2008

My Birthday

We celebrated my 39th Birthday in traditional Asdel fashion. We went on a snowboarding trip to Mammoth. I was really excited to go snowboarding. I hadn't been to Mammoth this season yet and that is unusual. Jake and Eddie have gone up a few times and have really been enjoying the season. Eddie flew Morgan home to join us. We drove up really early on Friday morning so that we could get a full day of riding in. We found out that the roads into Mammoth had been closed from 4 am until about 10 am because of snow and wind. We came through just after the roads opened up. Went straight to the condo to get ready to hit the slopes and all that fresh snow. Jake and Andrew were ready to go and left ahead of the rest of us. Morgan, Eddie and I decided to eat lunch and then go. Eddie took Morgan and I up to Canyon Lodge. It was snowing and the wind was howling... So we decided to go back to the condo and stay warm. Saturday morning- Jake & Andrew are up and ready to go! Eddie drives them up to the Lodge, and calls me to let me know that the wind is really strong and its supposed to get better in the afternoon. So we wait. Finally Eddie and I decide to go out and see how long we last. Morgan said forget it I'm staying in the condo.

Eddie and I bundled up and headed out. We took a few runs. The snow was awesome. Visibility was getting really bad and the winds were strong, so we called it a day after about an hour.
That night we went out to dinner to celebrate my birthday. The food was really good and I had mud pie for dessert.
The next day the whole mountain was closed and so were the roads leading out. The mountain opened 2 lifts by noon. One was a beginner lift and the other was intermediate. The winds were so strong, I didn't want to go out. Jake went up to the mountain and rode in the park and learned how to do front flips. Eddie rode for awhile and said he never had better snow. Morgan and I stayed under blankets and watched TV.
We left Mammoth that evening. Got back home to Ventura after midnight. Went to bed around 2 am. I got up early the next morning to get Morgan down to to airport and then I was off to work.
It was great to see Morgan and hang out in Mammoth with the family. But the weekend didn't go exactly as I was hoping for. I really wanted to snowboard. And of course, this weekend the sun is out and the winds are calm in Mammoth.

6 comments:

girlsmama said...

It still sounds like a nice weekend with the fam! Happy Birthday!

Morgan said...

jake did front flips?!?! i had no idea. man that kid got all the cool genes. :) haha. i actually really like my hair in that picture. its growing on me. monica will be home today to bleach some of the extra blue out but other than that im not changing it around too much. anyways, i'm glad i was home for your birthday too! love you so much <3

Linda said...

That does sound like a nice plan. But even though it didn't work out quite like you planned I bet you had lots of fun. Just not having to cook and wash the dishes would have been great if you ask me...

Linda

Bethany said...

Man, I hate it when that happens with a ski trip. it's happened a few times to me.. once at Mt. Hood and once at Grand Targhee. At least you got to get away. I like Morgan's blue streeks. keep 'em!

Bethany said...

oh yeah, where did you go to get Mud Pie? Does that have peanut butter in it? I can't remember i you are a big peanut buter fan. Red Robin makes mud pie.. ice cream stuff with peanut butter. YUM! I love peanut butter and ice cream and I know you love ice cream!

Dasdel said...

Who said anything about not cooking and doing dishes? I'm a short order cook on these adventures. I had to go to Vons buy the grub, cook it up, and clean it up. I even had to bring home the sheets we slept on and put clean sheets on 3 beds.

Saturday night we went out into the storm to a restaurant called The Mogul. We have never eaten at this restaurant in all the years I have been going to Mammoth. (You used to have to cook your own meat and Eddie didn't want to) The mud pie did not have peanut butter but it is an icecream pie on an oreo type crust with hot fudge drizzled on top. We split it 3 ways (Jake and Andrew didnt have any)
I'm not a fan of Red Robin, but if they have an icecream pie with peanut butter, I will have to check that out :)