Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hard Times

This has been a difficult week. Eddie's mom has been in the hospital down at UCLA for a week. She needs to have open heart surgery. They are going to be working on the mitral valve and the tricuspid valve. Eddie's mom was diagnosed with congestive heart failure last year. Plus she has numerous other health related issues. We went down to the hospital on Sunday to visit her. She looked as good as someone in the hospital can look. Eddie and his Dad gave her a blessing. They have moved her surgery from Monday to Tuesday and now its supposed to happen today, Thursday, but she has developed a bladder infection. So now the surgery is postponed till next Monday. Please keep her in your prayers.


On Monday we had to say goodbye to our grey cat Finnegan. He was only 21 months old. We noticed over the weekend that he wasn't doing well. Eddie took him to the vet on Monday morning. Our vet discovered that Finn had puss in his lungs and would need a chest tube and surgery. She said his chances were not good for survival. This would only clean out his lungs. They would then have to figure out was causing the infection in order to treat him. We didn't want to put him through all of that. We have since found out that he had disease throughout both lungs we are still waiting for the biopsy report.



I guess I have become one of those pet people. Now that my kids are older and more independent, I really enjoy my pets. Finn had very calm personality and would sit with me when I played on the computer or watched TV. Duncan the orange cat, seems to miss Finn and isn't sure where he is. Both cats really missed Merlin when he passed away. They would look for him in the backyard and then look at me like, "Hey you're forgetting someone". We've lost 3 pets in 12 weeks. Our cat that we gave to Eddies mom passed away 4 wks ago too. Its been an emotional ride!

6 comments:

Morgan said...

I miss baby cat :(

rough times make the bright times brighter i guess.

tiffunny said...

Oh how sad for you. Sorry about the cat. It's amazing how much pets worm their way into your hearts and family huh? I think that's why I am so anti-pet for my kids - cause it was really hard saying goodbye to our family dog (and I was grown up with 1 and 38/40 kids! And sorry about the mother-in-law too. That's gotta be rough - especially all the "waiting" and postponing. I hope everything goes well for her (and for you guys).

girlsmama said...

Dana we'll keep Eddie's mom in mind during our fast tomorrow as well as all of you. My mom has always said, and I have always felt, that losing a beloved pet is as hard as losing a human family member. If you read D&C 77 it talks about animals being in the eternities with us. That's always been reassuring for me. Love you all!

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

What a hard week. I'm so sorry about Finn. And I hope everything goes well with Eddie's mom's surgery.

Tricia said...

Sorry about your hard week. We'll keep Eddie's mom in our prayers. I hope everything with EFY for Jake worked out. Sorry I couldn't help more!

Bethany said...

I hope things are going better, especially with Eddie's mom.