Sunday, November 11, 2007

Mormon Formal

Last night I chaperoned a dance in Santa Maria. The dance was a multi stk formal event, meant to give kids an opportunity to attend a formal dance without the peer pressures of a high school sponsered prom or formal. The girls could wear formal dresses and the guys were to wear church dress including a jacket and tie. Well Jake and my nephew Joey did not have jackets. Jake was not feeling well so Joey and I went to the thrift store and found jackets for them. Both jackets were $1.95 each. This only took a few minutes. I was so excited that I took Joey out for burritos. Plus I knew I wouldn't eat well at the dance. So we went to Corrales for burritos. Byron and Joey got to my house at 4:00pm and Jake was in no shape to go. Jake had a fever of 101 So the 3 of us were off to Santa Maria, me and my two very well dressed nephews. Byron's parents bought him a suit, he looked very sharp. He now has to wear that suit every Sunday. Joey had his black church pants and his new, used jacket looking quite studley. We arrived at the dance, it was called a red carpet extravaganza. The front of the building had lighted archways and the foyer was decorated with a red carpet and black and red balloon arch ways. As we entered the Cultural Hall they had a camera man taking our pictures on the red carpet. I was glad I ate that burrito, the flyer said dinner, but they had finger foods and punch. They later had 2 dessert fountains one was a white fruit dip and the other was chocolate. We could dip marshmellows, strawberries, rice krispie treats, pretzels, red whips, and pastry puffs. The fountains were a big hit as they usually are. I didnt see any major messes down any dresses, thank goodness. The music was fun the kids seemed to really enjoy it. I love watching the kids dance. Its always better when Jake is there. I've gotten to know the Young Women more over the last few months in my Stake and its fun to talk with them. They are more comfortable with me now and come up to say hi or chat with me. I really love the Young Women. So the dance ended and the best part of the evening was about to begin, the long ride home and the scoop from the boys on the girls. They talked my ears off. Good Times!!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Where are the pictures? I wanted to see those two (sorry Jake wasn't feeling well) in their suits.

Dasdel said...

The camera is in Hawaii still with Eddie :(
I said he could keep it with him and he said are you sure? What about your blog?

Morgan said...

8 days til corraleeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!

Bethany said...

It sounds fun! bummer for Jake for missing out. I hope he's feeling better.

Tricia said...

Ahh, make me jealous about Corrales! Nice that the boys found cheap jackets and I'm so glad that the boys talk your ear off about girls! Too cute.