This week started out with a trip to the emergency room for Jake. And ended with an appointment with the oral surgeon for Morgan.
Monday I was finishing up my last patient at work and the phone rang at the office... (sound familiar) I could hear the receptionist on the phone and I could tell it was one of my kids, I heard her say "she is with a patient". Then she said, "you want me to interrupt her". Thats when I started worrying. Morgan was on the phone and she informed me that Jake had gotten a sliver of old paint under his nail and they were unable to get it out. Jake had trimmed the nail, soaked the finger and was not able to remove the paint chip. My only option at 7pm was the emergency room. I met up with Morgan and Jake at the emergency room around 8pm. The doctor had to numb his finger (2 shots) and lift the nail. He said there was a lot of paint under his nail. I was really proud of both kids, both individually either googled or wikihow on what to do for splinter removal. One suggestion if you were having difficulty was to get out a $50 and put it on the table. This would be used for your co-pay at the ER :) Our co-pay was $80.00 (ouch) We got out of the ER at 10:30pm. Jake is doing fine no pain after "foreign object" was removed. In case you are wondering how Jake did this, he was waxing an old bench over at the school so he could slide across it on his skateboard. I figure as mother of a skateboarder, I would way rather be at the ER for splinter removal then a broken head or bones.
Morgan did great at her appointment, she kept her nerves in check and didn't get too worried. She was pretty hilarious in the recovery room. She couldn't believe that it was all done and over so quickly. She was amazed that they put her jacket back on her. She kept asking when did they put my jacket on me? She did get the giggles and I kept telling her to relax... it was really funny. She was very talkative in the recovery room. I grabbed blenders in the grass for her on the way home. (similar to jamba juice) She has slept most of the afternoon with frozen vegetables on her face, to keep swelling down. She has been staying well medicated and she is in good spirits. A couple of her girlfriends are here keeping her company and telling her how great she looks. They are planning on watching a movie, I'm not sure if Morgan will up for that much activity, so I better keep an eye on my patient and make sure she doesn't get too tired.






5 comments:
ouch! i totally remember that feeling with my wisdom teeth removal. how did I get here? how did I get my shoes on? their little perfect concoction of meds is scary!
I bet the paint in the finger hurt. finger stuff always does.
what a fun friday!
Wow! The Dr. is always fun. Way to be a trooper Morgan. Those are some big teeth! They had to take mine out in bits and pieces. I hope you are feeling yourself soon!
Boy - I'm glad he's your son. Those videos are like watching him go on a roller coaster (Which you and I both hate) without any protection. You are lucky it was paint chips at the ER.
The fact that they lifted Jake's nail just freaks me out!
The only time I've been "put under" was to have my wisdom teeth removed. I remember waking up and being totally confused too. What a strange experience.
I hope they are both feeling a little better.
I've always felt like i got jipped - I was NOT put under when I got my wisdom teeth out - i was wide awake with just some numbing shots in my mouth as I had to lay there and watch the dentist grunt and grown as he twisted and pulled. The noises of my teeth cracking and stuff were quite vivid. They were all in one piece though and I have all 4 of them somewhere in my bathroom still! I was always going to make a really cool necklace or something out of them - but I guess I smartened up and realized that was a tad bit morbid!
I'm glad everything worked out good with your kids. I wouldn't have even thought things under your nails was something so serious - so thanks for the heads up!
Post a Comment