Tuesday, August 12, 2008

YUMMY!

Tonight we had a mini class for relief society on getting started on your food storage. I've started some food storage but not very much. I sure wouldn't want to have to live on what I have right now. I have potato pearls, beans, and popcorn. So anyway, one of the Sisters had a mini class at her house. She had some good info and lots of good ideas.
The yummy part was Amy (childhood friend, still in the ward) asked if she came could she make a dessert for everyone. Of course Sis. Wilson said "YES"
Amy spent this summer at cub scout camp, like she has for several summers. And this year she had the scouts make cheesecake egg rolls. She used her propane stove from her emergency preparedness stuff so I guess that's why she thought it fit in with food storage. I was just glad she came, these were the yummiest egg rolls ever. So we took wanton dough and put cheesecake filling and then fruit pie filling rolled it like an egg roll and then she deep fried it on her propane stove in a pot of hot oil. Next you rolled that in cinnamon sugar and drizzled it with caramel. OH MY GOSH! YUMM! I ate 2 of them with apple filling and kind of over did it but they tasted so good.
The ladies started getting creative and Sis. Wilson went and got chocolate chips and marsh mellows and peanut butter. They were rolling it all up together and deep frying all kinds of stuff! Now I feel kind of gross and yucky but it was a fun. Way better then eating some wheat thing from someone's 20 year old food storage.

5 comments:

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

You didn't mention the best part of the story! You jumped up so fast and were the very first one in line to make your own. Morgan and I were laughing at how excited you were about the dessert. They were SO good.

Morgan said...

mmmmmm. i want another one.

Dasdel said...

Well I thought she was just going to keep talking if nobody got up, so I jumped up! :) And I thought it was funny!

Bethany said...

mmm.. that does sound good. way better than what I have heard other people make at food storage enrichment nights....some kind of brownie with pinto beans or something? YUCK!

we only have 8 #10 cans of food storage and I couldn't tell you what they are. they were wedding gifts. we should get on that one. whoops.

girlsmama said...

We do pretty well with our food storage. We have a great book called Pantry Cooking by Laura Robins that we've used as a guide. I never knew there were so many things to do with oats! I think the egg rolls sound divine!