Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Book Club

Our relief society sisters have been wanting to do a book club for a LONG time. About a year ago we even bought a book. But the discussion night never happened. I personally found the book difficult to read. I don't think people were very excited about it. So the idea fizzled and died.
Recently the idea has come up again. I was asked to lead the discussion for the first gathering. Since we didn't have a book to discuss I thought it would be appropriate to pick an Ensign article and discuss it and then set the parameters for how we wanted to run our book club. We chose "Putting my hand in the Lords" ( Jan 2009 Ensign pg 36). We had a good discussion on the article and I think we really helped one sister with a situation she is currently dealing with. I thought it was great she was able to share what was on her mind, and we all had some input on things she could try. So we moved on to discuss what we want to read and how often we want to get together. Most ladies wanted to read popular fiction. Some want to read classics. And no one is opposed to the occasional LDS author. We decided that we would meet once a month. And that we would rotate houses among us. The person who suggested the book would host that month. We thought of 10 books for this year. Leaving us open to not meet for the month of December.
Things worked out great for me because for February we are going to read "Marley and Me". Morgan got me this book for Christmas. I was planning on reading it next. I just finished the last book of the Twilight series on Sunday.
I also told the ladies about having an online website were we can discuss and keep track of our books. I am going to make an online book club for the ladies on Shelfari. I'm not sure how that will work out for everyone, but I think it could be fun. From what I've seen you can discuss and review the books you've read. I already keep track of my reading on Shelfari and find it very convenient and fun to use.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

ooooo FUN! What a coincidence that I just finished writing my blog book report and you wrote about your book club! I'm jealous! I want to have a book club!

Morgan said...

I'm so glad you are going to read Marley and Me! How perfectl! I want to try to join in the online chats but I dont know how much I will actually be able to read. We'll see. I'm gonna skip Marley and Me though because I dont feel like reading a downer. Let me know when you read Friday Night Knitting Club!

Tricia said...

I finished Marley and Me over Christmas. It's a cute easy read. I still need to see the movie though. Enjoy your new Book Club. It's always nice to get out with the ladies no matter what you do.

Bethany said...

marley and me is a downer?

that's our book club book this month too. i'm not so good at reading lately.

Dasdel said...

I'm about half way through and I'm enjoy the book. My guess is that the dog is going to make the story sad. Like most stories about dogs. But so far I totally relate to this book because I have a 10 month old lab. And I have had many similar conversations with Eddie that this couple have in the book.