Thursday, January 8, 2009

exploring new things

Recently I was talking to someone about carrot juice, (of all things) and they told me that Costco carried a really good brand of carrot juice. I am really particular about what I drink. I am a huge fan of water! I do like juice but it has so much sugar that I don't use it very often. I almost always have orange juice in my fridge because its one of Jake's favorite. The next time I was out at Costco I picked up 3 bottles of Bolthouse Farms carrot juice. Now I got 3 bottles because its Costco and they only sell it in a 3 pack. I thought well this better be good since I have to get 3 bottles of it.

The first glass of carrot juice I had, I thought "hmmm tastes like carrots..." Yes I know its carrot juice, but it was kinda strong. But I did like it. What I really appreciate is that its pure carrot juice, many are mixed with apple and gives it a different taste. By the time I got through the 2nd bottle I was really enjoying my glass of carrot juice each morning. Now today I have finished the last bottle, Im sure I am the only one drinking it. I wasn't sure after the first experience with the carrot juice if I would purchase a 3 pack again. But I think now after having it for about a month each morning to start my day I have found something I will probably keep stocked on a regular basis.
Now the reason I am careful with what I drink in the first place is almost anything you drink is loaded in sugar except water and even some of the waters have sugar in them now too. Don't assume I'm a total health freak, I enjoy more then my fair share of sugar laden goodies. I just feel that I can control what I drink so I can enjoy other things that might not be so healthy.
The carrot juice has 14 grams of sugar for an 8 oz size serving which sounds like a lot, but when compared to orange juice that has 22 grams and apple juice has 28 grams for the same size serving, it is a good option for a juice. And just for information sake a 12oz can of Dr. Pepper has 40 grams of sugar. The other thing I have learned to be very careful about is when buying a single serving bottle of a drink like a FUZE or Naked Juice or something similar, it usually has more then one serving so I have to double the nutritional info on the side of the bottle to know what and how much I am consuming.

5 comments:

Morgan said...

mmm i love carrot juice.

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

I'm kinda the same way about my drinks. I figure I'd rather consume extra calories in yummy food than in a drink.

I love carrot juice too. I hope you don't turn orange!!! Although, it could help you stay tan in the winter! hahaha

elaine said...

I love carrot juice and carrot juice smoothies are my favorite:)

Jenn Kirk said...

LOL, I like Susanna's comment about staying naturally golden...

But I'm totally the same way with drinks. I stay away from juice (because of the sugar) but I'm a strong believer (hypocrite, maybe?) of desserts.

We need to start a campaign: "It is OKAY to have water at a RS event!"

Bethany said...

i'm totally the same way. i never drink anything except water (okay, maybe the occasional cherry limeade), but i go nuts with treats.

i might try this stuff. i hate V8 so i've always been turned off by the veggie juice. i remember when my mom used to drink V8 like crazy. sick!