Friday, January 11, 2008

Politics

I guess I have been a little bit of a pot stirrer this week. I seem to be pushing all the right buttons. At both my church meetings I got people's views and opinions on the primary candidates, mainly Mitt Romney since these were LDS meetings I suppose. But once you open the door... My Goodness. I did get a lot of interesting info and even a few articles e-mailed to me. One article About Ken Jennings the Jeopardy winner and his thoughts on Romney running for office.
Some people think Mitt Romney is the answer to everything Republican. Asking me what is there not to like about him? And others saw this as a prime time to be able to discuss our beliefs with others. Stating that the church is on a "front stage" or "center of focus". Probably the most fun political dialogue I have had has been on Bethany's blog. (Sorry Bethany) She posted a link to an article that I found thought provoking. Another commenter took some statements in the article quite personal. Saying that if the American public did not vote for Mitt Romney because he is Mormon she would take it as personal blow and it would lower her faith in the American people.
I don't think if Mitt Romney wins the Republican nomination or not that I will take it that personally, but I don't think any primary elections have ever had this much interest for me. I seem to be watching the Glen Beck show and Headline News. Looking things up on the Internet and comparing candidates. Today on one of these shows they had an interesting way of classifying the candidates that they consider leading at this point. It was Gender, Race, Religion, Age. Now doesn't our Constitution protect all of these things? But that's politics, I guess nothing is off limits.

6 comments:

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Wow, discussing politics, you are brave! I think you already know what I think about all of this. But…I find it interesting that the same people who say that it is wrong to NOT vote for someone based on their race, gender, religion, etc. are the same people who WILL vote for someone based on their race, gender, or religion. I’m not voting for someone just because they are a women or just because they are LDS. That seems to be a little close-minded if you ask me. I’m trying to look at the candidates as people, not what group they fit into.

tiffunny said...

Dana

Hope you don't mind I linked to your blog today. After our little "political" discussions on Bethany's blog I wanted to see who you were - I knew you were a relative of some sort. Anyways, this was the first posting I saw. I'm glad you're taking your time to figure stuff out for yourself. That's what everyone needs to do - no matter what party/religion/race/gender they are. I try to be open minded and make sure I'm voting for the person who really will do the best for our country. And if that happens to be a Democrat, a woman, a black, a Mormon, a Muslim (hmmm), then so be it. So far, a Democrat hasn't impressed me enough to warrant my vote (not saying the Republicans make me jump for joy or anything, but they usually seem to be the lesser of the 2 evils). And I definitely don't vote for someone just because they are of my same faith. Why? 2 words --- Scary Harry (aka Harry Reid)!!!!! He is our senator here in Nevada and I've hated him my ENTIRE life and I hate that he's the senate minority leader or whatever he is too. He's the biggest idiot in the world and stands for nothing that I do!!!!!

Thanks for participating in the discussion though. Seems like maybe we have a few thoughts in common.

Tiffany

Bethany said...

oooo..send me the Ken Jennings link! I've always found him kind of interesting. It's fun to hear what other people think about the elections. I really can't say where my loyalties lie, just yet, but I'm glad the bloggers have started talking about it!

Morgan said...

i like the political you over there, giving a speech or what not. haha.

Morgan said...

ps, (in response to a comment above mine) i loved harry reid at the devotional...but maybe thats cuz i lean a little to the blue side...i dont know.

D Bura said...

Honestly with all these people im not really fond of running for the presidency... i might as well get off my butt and start a campaign for myself... ha i bet i would get some votes isnt that a scary thought haha... I wonder what they would say if I told the country that I am every religion or maybe that I started my own religion called the Derekites...