Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The call no mother wants to get






Yesterday (April 29th) Eddie got the call that we always fear. Eddie came into the room I work in and said "Jake's OK but he was just hit by a truck on his bike" Eddie was on the phone with Jake and the policeman. Jake sounded ok on the phone but I was worried he might be a little more shaken up then he was letting on. So I called Morgan, who was at home and asked her to drive down the street and pick Jake up. She did, but Jake just wanted to walk his bike home. His bike he got for his birthday. When I got home from work the bike was in the entry way and Jake was on his way to his class at the college. Eddie checked out the bike and unfortunately the frame is bent. When Jake got home he explained that the guy in the truck turned in front of him and ran him over. Jake was clipped into his bike and the truck wheel was on his foot and the guy had to back the truck up to free Jake's foot. Jake hadn't wanted to look at his foot earlier, so now that he was home from school it was the first time he took his shoe off to look at it. It was very swollen. We told him he would have to go to the doctor in the morning to make sure it wasn't broken. Thank goodness Morgan is home, and she took him to the doctor to have his foot x-rayed this morning. It's not broken, just very swollen and bruised. The doctor said if the swelling doesn't go down by Friday that he would need a soft cast. Jake is really taking all of this in good stride. His bike is his prize possession and he puts alot of TLC into caring for it. These are a few pictures of his foot and his bike.

9 comments:

Morgan said...

his left foot is so tendony and his right one looks like an inflated tendonless version of his left. how strange. i was relieved it wasnt broken. that would have bummed jake out a lot. lucky kid to walk away with only scrapes and bruises.

Tricia said...

Ahhh, how scary! I'm glad everything is ok. Poor boy getting his bike ruined. I can't believe is foot wasn't broken after being ran over!

Bethany said...

OH MY! that is so horrible! at least Eddie started with, "jake is okay." Every morning Tyson rides to work I wait for his email telling me he made it. I'm so worried he will get hit. He rides on the freeway (I-40) 10 miles to work a few days a week.

I can't believe his foot isn't broken. that story is crazy. i can't imagine a kid as active as he is being put out by a bum foot.

get well, jake!

girlsmama said...

OMH! I'm glad he's ok. Hopefully He'll heal quickly. I hope the truck guy is going to get him a new bike! Get well Jake! And way to be a big sister Morgan!

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Yikes! What a story. His poor foot looks so swollen. At least it isn't broken. How would he skateboard with a broken foot?
I hope he is doing better.

elaine said...

where exactly was this accident? Pierpont? Peninsula? That is the most scarey thing, I remember when Stephanie got hit on her scooter in front of BZ market. You worry untill you see for yourself that they are ok. I hope he heals real quickly & that there aren't any lingering problems that will interfere with his skateboarding.

Linda said...

The guy should definitely pay for a new bike but unfortunately insurance doesn't work that way (I don't think...) I'm so glad he is okay and I hope it doesn't cramp his style with all of the activities that he loves so much.

tiffunny said...

glad it had a happy ending (kind of). I can only imagine how your heart must have sank when you heard your baby was in an accident!

Moester said...

dude that sucks cause i really get connected to all my stuff and i feel really sad when i hear that he got it for his birthday and it was his prize possesion thats just horrible its so sad. is the guy gunna buy jake a new bike? man thats so sad. do you think that his foot injury will mess with his skateboarding cause that would suck really bad. hes an amazing extreme sports athlete that would really suck if that messed with his "career". man that just makes me sad that his prized possesion is screwed up.