Tuesday, March 10, 2009

taco soup

I have been wanting to use my crock pot more and recently bought a slow cooker cookbook by Southern Living. Two days a week I work until 8 pm, this makes dinner difficult. I usually pick something up on my way home or Jake and I go grab something to eat once I get home. This habit is old and boring and nothing good is open late. I don't do fast food very well, so the things I will eat are very limited. I have had good intentions to cook more at home, but its hard when I get home so late. The other two nights a week I get off work at 6 pm, it's better, but still puts me home close to 7 pm. So crock pot cooking seems to be a solid option for me. I've done a few things in the crock pot before but I'm hoping to expand my abilities.
Tonight we had "Taco Soup" YUM! It was delicious! It looks like soup so I didn't take any pictures of it, so use your imagination.

Crock pot size: 5 1/2 quart

1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1 cup chopped red onion
1 (1.25oz) package taco seasoning mix
1 (1oz.) envelope Ranch dressing mix
2 (15.25oz.) cans whole kernel corn, undrained
1 (16oz.) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (15oz.) can black beans, undrained
2 (10oz.) cans chili-stlye diced tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
1 (12oz.) can light beer (I used Odoul's)
1 1/2 cups water

Toppings: shredded Cheddar cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips, cilantro

*Brown the ground beef with onion
*Combine meat mixture and taco seasoning mix, and next 7 ingredients in slow cooker
*Cover and cook on LOW 5 to 6 hours
Serve with desired toppings. Makes 16 cups.

After a long day of work, it was so nice to come home and have this hearty soup for dinner. I didn't use any cilantro on mine but I grated some cheese and added a spoonful of sour cream then crushed a handful of tortilla chips on top of my bowl of soup. It was so good, I had to have seconds. And I bet it will be even better tomorrow!

6 comments:

Morgan said...

yum yum yum, i request this as sunday dinner when I come home! :)

Bethany said...

yum, this looks delish. i love crock pot recipes. a favorite of mine lately is a creamy chicken salsa stuff.

El Jeffe and the Girls said...

Mmmmmm sounds good.
I'll have to get out my cookbook and start trying the recipes. I've been lazy with dinners lately. It's been nothing but the old standbys.
-Susanna

tiffunny said...

crockpotting is the way to go when you're not home for most of the day. The times i pull mine out & use it it's like heaven when i walk in the door & smell dinner already cooked & waiting for me. And I know so many people who rave about that taco soup. Maybe i'll have to try it someday.

Amy G said...

we love taco soup and frequently have it - but I've never used ranch dressing in it - I'll have to give that a try - we add diced carrot - the orange is pretty and adds more healthiness to it - and I suppose that's good too. My mom almost always starts a lot of her soups with a few pieces of chopped bacon and she does this with Taco soup -adds to the flavor.
Crock-pots are the best and I forget to use mine too - I need to use it more.
My boys love it when I dump a bag of turkey meatballs in and a jar of prego spaghetti sauce - let it cook all day and you can either cook pasta to go with it or have meatball subs.

Do you make tortilla chicken soup? I like that one a lot too - kind of similar but kind of not.

I'm going to definitely add the ranch dressing mix next time! Thanks for the tip.

The Ribbles said...

I love Taco Soup, your reciept is almost the same as ours. The crock pot is a wonderful friend of mine. I use mine on a regular basis.