
Friday I went out to Santa Cruz Island with our YW for a day of kayaking, snorkeling, sailing, and hiking. We took 34 girls and 5 adults on Island Packers transport out to the island at 8:00 am.

We also had more of our priesthood leadership sail out on one of the members sailboats. On our way out to the island we saw sea lions and dolphins. The dolphins swam with our boat while playing in the wake.

Our captain told us that this was a large grouping of dolphins and it was probably what they call a nursery group. There were several young dolphins and mothers.
Once we got to the island we had a short discussion from the park ranger about the island and then we were off to enjoy our day.
I took a group of girls on a short hike to Cavern point. And some others started kayaking. Our sailboat with our snorkel gear got there about 45min after we did. We had the girls rotate through the different activities. We brought our lunches and just hung out in the sun and snacked on our food. I way able to take a turn in one of the kayaks, and while we were out we came upon a sea lion playing in a kelp bed. I wasn't sure if he was feeling friendly or not, and hoped he wouldn't come up underneath our kayak. He didn't but he was very curious.
The snorkeling was a big hit with the girls. I didn't do the snorkeling this time but the girls saw sea slugs that inked, and sea snails, and some fish. We had wonderful men who loaned out their equipment and came to help teach and supervise the girls. Several of these men don't even have daughters in the program and were willing to take off work and spend a day with us.
Towards the end of our day I took the two ladies that were chaperoning with me on a quick hike so they could see the views that the island offers. When we returned we found that a group of our girls had met a group of LDS boys that were camping on the island :)
Our day was coming to an end and our return boat arrived at 4:00 pm and we headed back to the Ventura harbor. On our way back my arms started to sting a little and I realized I had forgot to put sunscreen on my arms. So I got a pretty good sunburn on my arms that will turn into a farmers tan since I wore a t-shirt all day. At least I remembered to sunscreen my face before I left the house. We had lots of fun out at Santa Cruz island. A good experience for the girls and for me, since this was my first time out to Santa Cruz island and my first time kayaking in the ocean.








8 comments:
FUN! i want to be in your YW group. you guys have great activities. that picture of the dolphins is amazing. we need to come back and visit and have a real day on the beach. i'm already aching for a vacation again.
Seriously - your young women are so spoiled!!! :) They will never realize how lucky they are probably, but I'm always quite envious of all they get to do. You are an awesome leader always planning such fun activities for them and going out and being with them all the time. That sounded like such a fun trip.
I am so jealous! I haven't been to the islands since high school (more years than I care to say)You are a fantastic leader, the girls are so lucky to have you instead of some boring passive leader:)
I wish I lived there and could join you on these excursions!
That looks so fun! Leave it to those girls to find boys anywhere they go, especially LDS ones! I bet I can guess who lead that little excursion. Haha. I'm glad you are such a fun leader for those girls.
Okay - I'm missing something here. Are you back in your ward YW presidency again? Or was this a stake trip? Whatever it was it sounds wonderful.
What lucky girls to have such a great YW trip! I love Santa Cruz Island. This made me want to go visit the island with my boys.
WOW that is so neat. I really need to move to CA. I love the ocean and sea life. I love to dive, but I never get to go. I guess I just need to come see you more!
Post a Comment