This past weekend I was able to attend our Multi Stake Youth Conference. This year the conference was held in Santa Maria. The YW President, Sarah and I drove up together early Friday morning. The conference started Thursday night and the 2nd counselor attended that night where the kids had time to get to know each other have dinner and then a dance.
Friday we had a keynote speaker, mini work shop classes, lunch and a service project.
Later that night we had another dance. One of the male chaperones was creeping the girls from my stake out. He was out on the dance floor with the kids and just being odd. So every time I saw him head out towards my girls I would go stand between him and the girls. It was so weird. But at least the girls knew I was there for them. Of course it was the one night Priesthood from our Stake was not present and the man was married to someone from the Santa Maria Stk YW Presidency, so I had to be careful with how we handled him. I noticed his wife would walk through the dance floor too, but she didn't dance close to my girls. I personally thought both these people were strange, but some chaperones feel the need to power trip the kids. I come from the stand point of let them have fun, we should be glad they chose to be here instead of somewhere else. Most kids want to be there and follow the rules without any problems.
Saturday morning we had a youth testimony meeting and lunch and then we headed home. It was a very packed fast paced event, as are most youth activities. These multi stake events usually bring about 300 kids together. Its nice for the youth to see other kids living the same standards as they do. Several kids mentioned in their testimonies that they are the only LDS kids at their school. I enjoy going to these events, I always learn something and I love being with our youth.






3 comments:
I think this is the most perfect calling for you. You are awesome with the youth and they trust and respect you. The only thing is that it takes up so much time! Haha, but I'm glad it was fun for you. It seems like the youth enjoyed themselves too :)
Gosh, isn't it highly inappropriate for a leader to be gettin' jiggy on the dance floor at a youth activity. Yuck. Thanks for being there Dana.
you should have got some pictures of the weirdo!
you sound like a great YW leader.
Post a Comment