California is once again voting on how we define marriage. Proposition 8 would restore the definition of marriage to the one previously approved by the voters back in 2000, as between a man and a women.
If this proposition doesn't pass our public schools will have to teach in health classes that marriage is between any two adults.
This is what I find outrageous - Churches will be sued if they refuse to allow same sex marriages ceremonies in their religious buildings that are open to the public.
So calling people was kind of out of my comfort zone, but I did it! From what I gathered people in their 40's were undecided, 20's -30's were voting NO, and 50"s and up were voting YES
My calling lists had all political parties represented. I did have one lady agree to a yard sign! :)
I'm glad I finished my list, I understand the importance of gathering info on what voters are thinking. But I had a lot of disconnected phone numbers and answering machines. I guess I will have to put up a yard sign or a bumper sticker on my car (I don't do stickers on my car, so thats a big one for me) I'm not really excited about that because I would rather talk to people and tell them how I feel then have them see a sign and assume I'm against gays.






8 comments:
vote how you chose, but i vote NO to a sticker on your car. A) Drama!! and B) your car is too nice.
I did calling too and had SO MANY disconnected numbers! My list was nearly all apartments. But my main complaint is that I talked to two different people that said they didn't understand what I was talking about (English was their 2nd language). If you are registered to vote in America shouldn't you be able to answer a simple question especially when the person (me) tells you EXACTLY what a "yes" vote means and EXACTLY what a "no" vote means? I was so frustrated. I know what you are thinking...they were not Spanish speakers.
That is interesting! When Nevada voted for it years ago we ammended our constitution so I don't think we will have to go through with all your drama! Good luck.
It was a little hard for me to get riled up for Prop 8 in the beginning, but that has certainly changed as the repercussions have been made clear. Amazing how much damage can come about as a result of a decision made by just four judges. Sometimes I feel fired up enough to put a bumper sticker on my car, but then I worry about crazies doing something to my ride.
yeah.. NO stickers on cars! ahhh.....
it's kind of surprising to me how much the church is getting involved. we have a similar prop in our election in AZ this year. The church wants every bishop to talk about it in church. Our bishop opted to have a high councilman give the talk last week. i was kind of surprised, but at the same time I can see why they are worried about it.
good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone. I know making calls would be really, really hard for me.
I really don't think I can put a sticker on my car. And I really don't want a yard sign either. I think calling people is as far as I am willing to go with this.
i think calling was far enough. i wouldnt know who you were if you put a sticker on your car..you didnt even put the honor roll sticker i got that one time up. hahaha.
I did this many years ago in Vegas for the same kind of proposition. I went door to door though - not calls. That was very hard for me to talk to people directly but ended up being a lot better than i thought it would be. But i just hated thinking someone might think i was against gays simply because i didn't agree with people redefining something I believed in. I don't get why Californians have to vote AGAIN to keep something the way they voted it to be 8 years ago? Did something change between then to nullify it? Is it because of the courts overruling it recently or something. So annoying. I don't care if gays get married, but seriously - why do we always have to redefine things for minorities & special groups? Come up with your own definition, don't make us all change our way of living for you! I could go on and on about this. And teaching it in schools - just wrong.
Post a Comment